November 19, 2020

Exceptional Conditions Permit for EPSL and EFMLA

Any signatory contractor providing leave for an eligible employee through SB 95, the Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) and/or Emergency Family Medical Leave Extension Act (EFMLEA) can obtain an Exceptional Conditions permit through District Council 16. This permit allows a contractor to pay only Taxable Net Wages (with the bracketed items deducted) and Health & Welfare contributions on those leave hours. 

To get this Exceptional Conditions permit, a contractor should email a written request to Gena Castro with DC16 at and include NCGMA’s Director of Labor Relations, Brooke Fishel at, on the request. We encourage all contractors to submit such a request as soon as you become aware of an employee’s need for such a leave. 

Do not include the name of the employee on the EPSL or EFMLEA request due to HIPAA laws. Just denote them as Employee #1, Employee # 2, etc. followed by the last four digits of their social security number.

Contractors should note in their payroll system that the payment is for EPSL and/or EFMLEA.

A sample of an Exceptional Conditions request can be downloaded here.

If you have any questions, please contact NCGMA's Director of Labor Relations, Brooke Fishel, at or by calling 510-428-9486.

Profile picture for user
by Brooke Fishel, Director of Labor Relations